Selected publications by Dr. Laurie Bernstein, Associate Professor of History
- Revolutionary Russia: A History in Documents, co-author with Robert Weinberg (Oxford University Press, 2010).
- Editor and co-author of introductory essay for Mary M. Leder, My Life in Stalinist Russia: An American Woman Looks Back (Indiana University Press, 2001).
- Sonia’s Daughters: Prostitutes and Their Regulation in Imperial Russia (University of California Press, 1995).
Selected publication by Dr. Katherine Epstein, Assistant Professor of History
- Torpedo: Inventing the Military-Industrial Complex (under contract with Harvard University Press, 2013).
Selected publication by Dr. Wayne Glasker, Associate Professor of History
- Black Students in the Ivory Tower: African American Student Activism at the University of Pennsylvania, 1967-1990 (University of Massachusetts Press, 2002).
Selected publications by Dr. Janet Golden, Professor of History
- Editor with Cynthia Comacchio and George Weisz, Healing the World’s Children: Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Health in the Twentieth Century (McGill-Queens University Press, 2008).
- Message in a Bottle: The Making of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (Harvard University Press, 2005, paperback, 2006).
- Editor with Richard Meckel and Heather Munro Prescott, Children and Youth in Sickness and Health: A Handbook and Guide (Greenwood Press, 2004).
- A Social History of Wet Nursing in America: From Breast to Bottle (Cambridge University Press, 1996; paperback, Ohio State University Press, 2001).
- Editor with Rima Apple, Mothers and Motherhood: Readings in American History (Ohio State University Press, 1997).
- Editor with Charles E. Rosenberg, Framing Disease: Studies in Cultural History (Rutgers University Press, 1992).
- Co-author with Charles E. Rosenberg, Pictures of health : a photographic history of health care in Philadelphia, 1860-1945 (University of Pennsylvania Press, 1991).
- Editor, Infant Asylums and Children’s Hospitals: Medical Dilemmas and Developments, 1850-1920: An Anthology of Sources (Garland Press, 1989).
- Editor with Diana Elizabeth Long, The American General Hospital: Communities and Social Contexts (Cornell University Press, 1989).
Selected publications by Dr. Andrew Lees, Professor II of History
- Cities and the Making of Modern Europe, 1750-1914, with Lynn Hollen Lees (Cambridge University Press, 2007).
- Editor, Character Is Destiny: The Autobiography of Alice Salomon (University of Michigan Press, 2004).
- Cities, Sin, and Social Reform in Imperial Germany (University of Michigan Press, 2002).
- Editor with Lynn H. Lees, The Modern Metropolis: Perceptions, Plans, and Developments in Western Europe and America; a volume of the Budapest Quarterly, in Hungarian (Budapest, 1995).
- Cities Perceived: Urban Society in European and American Thought (Columbia University Press and Manchester University Press, 1985).
- Editor with Lynn Lees, The Rise of Urban Britain, a 29-volume series of reprinted works originally published between 1837 and 1914 (Garland Press, 1985).
- Editor with Lynn Lees, The Urbanization of European Society in the Nineteenth Century (D.C. Heath, 1976).
- Revolution and Reflection: Intellectual Change in Germany during the 1850s (Martinus Nijhoff, 1974).
Selected publications by Dr. Kriste Lindenmeyer, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences
- The Greatest Generation Grows Up: American Childhood in the 1930s (Ivan R. Dee, 2005).
- Editor with Andrew E. Kersten, Politics and Progress: American Society and the State since 1865 (Praeger, 2001).
- Editor, Ordinary Women, Extraordinary Lives: Women in American History (SR Books, 2000).
- A Right to Childhood: The U.S. Children’s Bureau and Child Welfare, 1912-1946 (University of Illinois Press, 1997).
Selected publications by Dr. Margaret Marsh, University Professor
- The Fertility Doctor: John Rock and the Reproductive Revolution, co-author with Wanda Ronner (Johns Hopkins University Press, 2008).
- The Empty Cradle: Infertility in America from Colonial Times to the Present, co-author with Wanda Ronner (Johns Hopkins University Press, 1996).
- Suburban Lives (Rutgers University Press, 1990).
- Anarchist Women, 1870-1920 (Temple University Press, 1981).
Selected publications by Dr. Charlene Mires, Associate Professor of History
- Capital of the World: The Race to Host the United Nations (New York University Press, 2013).
- Independence Hall in American Memory (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2002). Co-Winner of Philadelphia Athenaeum Literary Award, 2004.
- The American People: Creating a Nation and a Society, vol. 2 (New York: Pearson Longman). Revisions co-author for chapters covering 1877-1929, 7th brief edition (2010). Contributor to 7th edition (2006); 6th brief edition (2007); 1st Vango concise edition (2008).
Selected publications by Dr. Wendell Pritchett, Chancellor
- Robert Clifton Weaver and the American City: The Life and Times of an Urban Reformer (University of Chicago Press, 2008).
- Brownsville, Brooklyn: Blacks, Jews, and the Changing Face of the Ghetto (University of Chicago Press, 2002).
Selected publications by Dr. Philip Scranton, University Board of Governors Professor
- Editor with Janet Davidson, The Business of Tourism: Faith, Place, and History (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2007).
- Editor with Susan R. Schrepfer, Industrializing Organisms: Introducing Evolutionary History (Routledge, 2004).
- Proprietary Capitalism: The Textile Manufacture at Philadelphia, 1800-1885 (Cambridge University Press, 2003; Cambridge University Press, 1983).
- Editor with Warren Belasco, Food Nations: Selling Taste in Consumer Societies (Routledge, 2002).
- Editor, The Second Wave: Southern Industrialization from the 1940s to the 1970s (University of Georgia Press, 2001).
- Editor, Beauty and Business: Commerce, Gender, and Culture in Modern America (Routledge, 2001).
- Endless Novelty: Specialty Production and American Industrialization, 1865-1925 (Princeton University Press, 1997, paperback 2000, Japanese translation, 2004).
- Figured Tapestry: Production, Markets, and Power in Philadelphia Textiles, 1885-1941 (Cambridge University Press, 1989).
- Work Sights: Industrial Philadelphia, 1890-1950, co-author with Walter Licht (Temple University Press, 1986).
- Editor, Silk City: Studies on the Paterson Silk Industry, 1860-1940 (New Jersey Historical Society, 1985).
Selected publications by Dr. Andrew Shankman, Associate Professor of History
- Editor, The World of the Revolutionary American Republic: Expansion, Conflict, and the Struggle for a Continent (under contract for Routledge, 2014).
- Crucible of American Democracy: The Struggle to Fuse Egalitarianism and Capitalism in Jeffersonian Pennsylvania (University Press of Kansas, 2004).
Selected publication by Dr. Lorrin Thomas, Associate Professor of History
- Puerto Rican Citizen: History and Political Identity in Twentieth Century New York City (University of Chicago Press, 2010). Co-winner, Saloutos prize of the Immigration and Ethnic History Society of the OAH and honorable mention, Casa de las Américas prize.
Selected publications by Dr. Gerald Verbrugghe, Associate Professor of History
- Berossos and Manetho, Introduced and Translated: Native Traditions in Ancient Mesopotamia andEgypt, co-author with John Wickersham (University of Michigan Press, 1996).
- Itinera Romana: Sicilia (Kummerly & Frey Verlag, 1976).
- Greek Historical Documents: The Fourth Century B.C., co-author with John Wickersham (Hakkert Press, 1973).
Selected publications by Dr. Allen Woll, Professor of History
- George Gershwin [Liner notes and musical selections] (Smithsonian Institution, 1992).
- Black Musical Theatre: From “Coontown” to “Dreamgirls” (Louisiana State University Press, 1989, paperback, DaCapo, 1991).
- Ethnic and Racial Images in American Film and Television, co-author (Garland Press, 1987).
- Dictionary of the Black Theatre (Greenwood Press, 1983).
- A Functional Past: The Uses of History in Nineteenth Century Chile (Louisiana State University Press, 1982).
- The Hollywood Musical Goes to War (Nelson-Hall, 1982).
- Puerto Rican Historiography (Gordon Press, 1979).
- The Latin Image in American Film (UCLA Latin American Series, 2nd edition, 1981).
- Songs from Hollywood Musical Comedies, 1927-1976 (Garland Press, 1976).